Acadiana Society meets on the 3rd Thursday of each month at 6:30PM except December (2nd Thursday) and July (no meeting) at the Ira Nelson Horticulture Center in Lafayette, LA. Guests are always welcomed. See district calendar for more details.
- April is our “Petite Show” meeting. Members bring roses from their garden to enter in our club rose show.
- The May meeting is our annual Birthday Potluck Meeting. Members bring a dish of their choice to share with everyone and a topic of interest.
- In June we do a rose arrangement workshop on a Saturday.
- August is our ice cream meeting. Enjoy homemade ice cream, toppings and other sweets along with a program topic of interest.
- In December we celebrate Christmas with lots of great food at our Holiday Banquet.
Members enjoy a 10% discount at All Seasons Nursery and Chastant Farm & Garden.
A little history on the Acadiana Rose Society...
The first meeting of the Acadiana Rose Society was held in May of 1990 at Marshall’s Nursery in Lafayette and attended by 18 people. By the next year there were 52 members and meetings were being held at the Ira Nelson Horticulture Center in Lafayette where they built and tended a public rose garden.
Southwest LA Rose Society in Lake Charles was instrumental in getting Acadiana RS started. Willard Briggs was our first club president. His wife Letha had family in Lake Charles and early in 1990 they would drive to Lake Charles to attend the meetings of the Southwest Louisiana Rose Society and visit the gardens of their members. Lake Charles members drove to Lafayette many times giving programs on rose culture in order to help Acadiana RS off to a good start.